Dr. Jonathan Song received his Chinese Medicine degree (OMD) in 1983 from Zhejiang College of Traditional Chinese Medicine, a western medicine degree in 1988 from Peking Union Medical College, the top medical college in China. In addition, he earned his PhD in Physiology and Neuroscience from Michigan State University in 1994. Jonathan was a former physician at the Department of Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture in Xingdeng Hospital, China. Dr. Jonathan Song has published more than thirty medical science papers in journals and books. He was a former member of the China Society for Acupuncture, Society for Traditional Chinese Medicine, China Medical Society, and Society for Integration of Traditional Medicine & Western Medicine. Dr. Jonathan Song is currently an adjunct associate professor in the Department of Obstetrics-Gynecology at Wayne State University School of Medicine. He also served as a paper reviewer for the Journal of Neurochemistry and a grant reviewer for the US National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
Selected Publications of Jonathan Song:
- Song J, Goetz BD, Duncan ID (2006) His36Pro point-mutated proteolipid protein retained in the endoplasmic reticulum of oligodendrocytes in the shaking pup. Glia. 53(3):257-65.
- Li FY, Cuddon PA, Song J, Wood SL, Patterson JS, Shelton GD, Duncan ID (2006) Canine spongiform leukoencephalomyelopathy is associated with a missense mutation in cytochrome b. Neurobiol Dis. 21(1):35-42. Song J, Carson JH, Barbarese E, Li FY, Duncan ID (2002) Excess microtubules inhibit anterograde RNA transport in oligodendrocytes from the taiep mutant rat. Mol. Cell. Neurosci. 2003 24(4):926-938.
- Li FY, Song J, Duncan ID. (2003) Mapping of taiep rat phenotype to rat Chromosome 9. Mamm Genome. 2003 Oct;14(10):703-5.
- Song J, Goetz BD, Baas PW, Duncan ID (2001) Cytoskeletal reorganization during the formation of oligodendrocyte processes and branches. Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience 17:624-636.
- Song J, Goetz BD, Kirvell SL, Butt AM, Duncan ID (2001) Selective myelin defects in the anterior medullary velum of the taiep mutant rat. Glia 33:1-11.
- O’Connor LT, Goetz BD, Couve E, Song J, Duncan ID (2000) Intracellular transport of myelin components is altered in oligodendrocytes of the taiep rat. Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience 16: 396-407.
- Song J, O’Connor, LT, Yu W, Baas PW, Duncan ID (1999) Microtubule alterations in cultured taiep rat oligodendrocytes lead to deficits in myelin membrane formation. Journal of Neurocytology 28:671-684.
- Song J, Combs KC, Pilcher, WH, Song YL, Utal AK, Coleman PD (1997) Low initial tau phosphorylation in human brain biopsy samples. Neurobiology of Aging 18(5):475-481.
- Song J, Zipser B (1995) Targeting of neuronal subsets mediated by their sequentially expressed carbohydrate markers. Neuron 14(3):537-547.
- Song J, Zipser B (1995) Kinetics of the inhibition of axonal defasciculation and arborization mediated by carbohydrate markers in the embryonic leech. Developmental Biology 168(2):319-331.
- Zipser K, Erhardt M, Song J, Cole NR, Zipser B (1994) Distribution of carbohydrate epitopes among nonoverlapping subsets of leech sensory afferent neurons. Journal of Neuroscience 14:4481-4493.
- Zhou L, Song J, Zhang R, Zhou J (1990) Electrogastrography in Physiology and Medicine. CAPS News Communication, suppl. 1:151-155.
- Zheng QH, Zhou L, Zheng ML, Song J, Yiao XB (1990) BSR-1 Electrogastrograph. Gongdong Electricity, China 3:1-4.
- Zhou L, Song J, Cheng QH, Yau XB (1989) BSR-1 EGG and Electrogastrogram. Science in Physiology, China 9(12):97-101.
- Song J, Zhou L, Liu LQ, Xu W, Cheng ZQ, Xu ZQ (1989) CCK-8 in the rat hypothalamus is involved in regulation of the antral motility. Acta Physiologica Sinica 41(6):567-574.
- Song J, Zhou L, Yuan BZ (1989) Roles of five gut hormones on the gastric electric activities in dogs. CAPS News Communication, suppl. 1:301-305.
- Song J, Zhou L (1989) CCK-8 in the central nervous system regulate the gastric motility via the cholinergic nerve. China Digestion Journal 9(2): 98-100.
- Song J, Zhou L, Wang, LD, Zhang R (1988) Effects of ICV four brain-gut peptides on the gastric motility of dogs. Proc. CAMS and PUMC 3(4):218-221.
- Song J, Zhou L (1988) Gastric motility regulated by CNS somatostatin in dogs. Science in Physiology, China 8(2):106-109.
- Zhou L, Song J, Liu LQ, Li YF, Shi MH (1988) Preparation of antiserum against the synthetic gastrin and radioimmunoassay of gastrin. Science in Physiology, China 8(2):110-113.
- Zhou L, Song J, Shi MH (1988) Pentagastrin in the CNS involved in regulation of the gastric motility in dogs. Applied Physiology, China 4 (2): 146-150.
- Song J (1999) Brain peptides regulate the gastrointestinal motility. In: Dynamics of The Gastrointestinal Motility. Zhou L, Ke MY(ed), Science Press, Beijing, China. pp 41-50.
- Song J, Zhou L (1991) The gastrointestinal circulation. In: Physiology of the Gastrointestinal Tract. Zhou L (ed), Science Press, Beijing, China. pp 236-247.
- Song J, Zhou L (1991) The gastric secretion of electrolytes and bicarbonate. In: Physiology of The Gastrointestinal Tract. Zhou L (ed), Science Press, Beijing, China. pp 432-441.